Exemption FAQs

Can I request a personal belief or religious belief exemption?

No. Only medical exemptions are allowed. Students with a medical condition that is a contraindication to vaccination for the following vaccines:  (MMR, Varicella, Tdap, or Meningococcal conjugate) will need to have their provider complete the Medical Exemption form.

Do I need to comply with the immunization requirements if I am a former UCLA undergraduate and now entering graduate school?

Yes. All incoming students will need to comply -- even if you previously attended UCLA.

Are there any exempt programs/majors?

Students who are a part of the following self-supporting programs do not have access to The Ashe Center, including the Patient Portal, and therefore are not subject to the immunization requirements.

  • EMBA (Executive MBA)

  • GEMBA (Global Executive MBA)

  • ELP (Education Leadership Program)

  • MPHHP (Master of Public health for Health Professionals)

  • MSE (Master of Science Engineering)

How do I submit my Medical Exemption form?

Print the Medical Exemption form and bring it to your provider to complete.

Once the form is completed, log into the Patient Portal by clicking the link in the top right corner of the screen. Select “Messages” and chose the “Immunization Requirement Question” option. In the body of the message, indicate that you are requesting a Medical Exemption and upload your completed medical exemption form by using the “Add attachment...” feature.

Medical exemption requests are reviewed by the Medical Director and updated manually by Ashe Staff in the Medical Clearances section.

Note: You will only hear back from Ashe if your exemption is NOT approved.